Thursday, August 24, 2006

Making Every Word Tell

Exactly a year ago today, I wrote my sixth post entitled, "Postscript on Date Dissecting." There is actually nothing that sets apart that post from my other blogs - but since I missed commemorating the first anniversary of my very first post on August 17, I might as well reminisce it today with my 6th. :)

Kidding aside, I consider my decision to start writing a blog one of the best decisions I have made. It is the ultimate self-actualization deed which I have done for myself which I would have deeply regretted had I decided to postpone, or totally do away with it.

Just the other day, I was watching the ABC News podcast where they featured seventy nine year old pensioner Peter (pseudonym: geriatric1927) who posts his videos entitled Geriatric Gripes and Grumbles in You Tube (click on Wikepedia article here). His videos were such a hit that by August 16, 2006, he has become the most subscribed user on You Tube. He has gained a considerable following and his fans are not admiring quietly. They have posted their own videos addressed to him, expressing their admiration, congratulating him and urging him to keep it up. Apparently overwhelmed by all the attention (he refused to grant even a single interview with any network), he aired his farewell video a few days ago, without appearing on screen, saying he will be busy the next few days but assured everyone that he will remain hanging around You Tube, watching videos.

Geriatric1927's rise to fame is not only truly phenomenal but also meteoric. His popularity highlighted the individual need to be heard and the apparent desire to listen and learn, as seen in his case where he caught the attention of You Tube viewers young and old alike. And who says only young people are tech savvy?

My own personal experience with the use of technology to go through the process of translating my thoughts and feelings into words was, and still is, gratifying. While sending a link to your blog instead of writing a personal email might take out the personal touch out of "keeping in touch", it is a good way to keep my friends up to date with how I have been spending every minute of my existence. Truth is, many of the things I write about I may not even have the guts to tell when speaking to a person face to face for the simple reason that a personal conversation is dyadic - two way while this exercise of writing is actually a written monologue. I am at liberty to write at will and my readers are at liberty to pay attention - or ignore me. That "take it or leave it" attitude is a little bit too crass for personal conversation.

A speaker in one of the lectures I attended over the weekend quoted from Strunk and White's Elements of Style. H said, "When writing, every word should tell." I quite agree with Strunk and White and I am grateful to the speaker for reminding me of that. Every word written should bear a significance to the entire train of thought. It is only through a conscious effort that effective communication can be achieved. I particularly liked the quote because I always catch myself tapping away on the keyboard, carelessly inputting words which confound my message. And come to think of it, getting your message across is the ultimate satisfaction a writer can achieve. And that gratification is what I strive for.

It would probably take a while (or maybe never) before I decide to make my own videos like geriatric1927. In the meantime, I will keep on doing this exercise as I know it is good for me and keeps me sane.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.