Friday, March 24, 2006

Maghuhugas Kamay Ako!

The great news is my room is now good as new - newly painted from ceiling to the walls, and fresh and bright linoleum flat on the floor. My bed is made, cabinets are organized, and yes, my TV set is also newly repaired. (I discovered in the course of moving back my things, after painting, that my TCL 29" TruFlat TV set is busted. The authorized TCL technician arrived the following day and repaired the loose CRT Blue - whatever that is, and did some soldering here and there before replacing the buttons for the controls. All defects were apparently due to wear and tear. I was happy to hear that my TV is one of the best models of TCL - I didn't know of such fact when I bought it.) Had to shed a few bucks though - ouch! This weekend, I will connect the wirings between my TV and DVD player plus speakers/subwoofer and I can now enjoy my favorite movies in my bedroom again!

Well, not so great news is I got sick last week. After arranging my things, non-stop the entire day on Thursday, I took a bath and went to my mom's room to watch our favorite TV shows. Even if I wanted to continue watching John Lloyd's portrayal of U.P. Diliman contemporary Raymund Narag, I felt weak and tired and very very cold. I was surprised to find myself unable to bear the room temperature of the airconditioned room and took another blanket - a thick one, to wrap myself with. Despite that, my teeth were chattering, yes they were, but I was already too tired so I quickly feel asleep. In two hours, at 1 am, I woke to an aching tummy and headed straight to my own comfort room, still feeling cold and weak. I was quite concerned with the signs of LBM and at the same time, I had a feeling I had a fever, not to mention aching joints and muscles. I tried to get my temperature using a thermometer but I was too weak even to shake the mercury down. I decided to go back to bed, and laid down with my stomach flat on the bed. In the morning, I had several trips to the C.R. and had 38.6 degrees celsius temperature on the average the entire day. All along, I thought I was just unlucky to have influenza and LBM at the same time. I was unable to go to work that Friday and also failed to go to Baguio to attend a friend's wedding on Saturday. It was only at 3 am on Saturday when I thought of texting my doctor friend Lisa about my condition. She advised me to go to a hospital and to stop taking analgesics because it would mask the pain and we wouldn't know the symptoms. I also got concerned cause unlike the previous day when I was suffering from flu and was just enduring the frequent trips to the C.R., I began experiencing abdominal pain on Saturday and I was worried what if it was my appendix. I went to the emergency room of St. Luke's Hospital in the morning and had fecalysis and blood tests done. After several hours, I was diagnosed to have acute gastroenteritis which is caused by bacteria I could have eaten. My attending physician, Dr. Paulo Estioko said I could have gotten it from dirty food, water, utensils or dirty hands. It was then that I realized that I wasn't really careful about those things. I've always thought that I had a very resilient stomach and I had the antibodies I need to ward off germs. The bacteria must have been potent for my body to react that way. Dr. Estioko said symptoms could be felt within 6-12 hours from entry of the bacteria into the body. I was given rehydration treatment, which actually made my stomach ache some more. Ironically, after I was given medication (Ciprofloxacin, to be taken at 12-hour interval) and was made to take hydrite (yukk!), my fever went away but the abdominal pain became more severe. Add to that, I experience pain whenever I ingest anything - even just water with hydrite, and in a matter of minutes, what I took in would be expelled out of my body anally. I called the E.R. of St. Luke's on Sunday to report my condition, as instructed in the discharge information, and I was told to return to the hospital to be confined. It's a good thing that for some weird reason, my LBM and abdominal pain stopped after lunch. I took a rest on Monday after I went to Dr. Gerardo Pura for consultation (Dr. Pura, incidentally, sounds like and kinda resembles my friend, Teng Gerochi, pero mas guwapo si Teng). As he instructed, I had my upper abdomen ultrasound and fecalysis in the morning of Tuesday, March 21. I had a follow-up check up with Dr. Pura again on Thursday, March 23 and aside from prescribing OMZ, an antacid, he advised me to lose weight by avoiding fatty and oily foods since my ultrasound shows a fatty liver which could possibly cause inflammation and, God forbid, hepatitis. (Panic!)

And so, for a few days now, I have been avoiding pork and any kind of fried food. I've also been drinking Yakult to make my tummy more resistant to germs. I've been eating a lot of fruits and have generally reduced my food intake. Most importantly, I've been consciously keeping my hands clean by washing with soap and rubbing on alcohol whenever necessary. Mahirap na. Nakakadala magkasakit huh.


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.