Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Bugs and Glitches

I am fond of Mozilla Firefox, and definitely, it is my preferred browser over Internet Explorer (is Netscape Navigator still around?). I particularly like Firefox because it allows tabbed browsing as compared to IE which would open a new window each time you need to view another page. I have recently found the google toolbar really helpful because whenever I need to search, I need not open a new tab to go to the google homepage - all I need is to type the search word/s in the search window which is always available at the upper left portion of the browser.

Recently, however, I noticed that some of my favorite sites have been deleted from the favorites list. Some of these sites are for personal use while most are for research so it was really inconvenient. I initially suspected if anyone from our office network has been tinkering with my computer via the shared network. I noticed that even if I un-share mg files, it is always on share mode the next time I restart. Nonetheless, I just diligently unshare my folder to shield it from prying eyes.

Yesterday was different. In the middle of looking at sites on Chinese labor laws, my Firefox asked me to change my profile and after one big clicking mistake, I found my Firefox totally devoid of my password, my favorites, my history - plus, the Google toolbar is missing. While searching the net,,I discovered some sites critical of the Google toolbar, attributing certain bugs and glitches on it which can potentially erase data such as favorites from the browser. So that was it! Sigh.

Oh well, I am a Google addict and I realized I couldn't really work with a browser without a Google toolbar. So I uninstalled my Google-less Firefox, downloaded the latest Firefox with Google toolbar and installed it. And so, I'm back with my Google enhanced Firefox, having in mind that I should take note of my favorite sites independently and not rely on my browser.

Oh well...

Incidentally, I found out that this site is best viewed using Firefox as the right sidebar is pushed down after the main box when it is viewed using IE. There is a solution but some tweaking has to be done. In order to view this site properly in IE, you have to view this site and then right click on any portion of the page. A menu will appear. Click "Encoding" and choose "Western European". That fixes the problem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.