Monday, March 13, 2006

FINALLY!!!

After almost three years, I've finally began cleaning up my bedroom. Yes, shameful it is to admit - this is my dirtiest secret.

For three years now, I have been sleeping in my mom's bedroom. It has been very practical and convenient to stay there where I can wake up my mom in the middle of her nightmares and at the same time enjoy the comfort of an airconditioned room, minimizing on electricity costs since my own aircon has remained shut for the longest time. At one point, our electric bill in the house extension (where my room, my sister's room and a spare kitchen is located) got as low as less than P100.

My refugee status in my mom's bedroom wasn't really economically driven. Truth is an incident left me severely depressed around June 2003 that I couldn't bear to stay in my bedroom alone. Having been able to recover a bit around February 2004, I started to sleep in my room again. What drove me out again were tons of paper and other trinkets I brought home from my room in the law firm which I resigned from. I think I stayed in my room for two months until the hanging bookshelves were installed in my entire west-facing wall which left inches of concrete dust lying around and permeating my decaying bed. Sigh. It was a mess, and even after I cleared out extra paper and threw out some stuff, my bedroom was still unhabitable. Add to that, I had another emotional blow which drove me to my mom's bedroom again. By then, I was already very much aware that the state of my room reflects me - how I keep a lot of things inside and how I refuse to let go of trash. Another change of employer added a bit more stuff in my bedroom and more reasons to move out. Occasionally, I would use my room to view DVDs but a recent incident of a baby scorpion crawling on my thigh left me frantic and so I resolved to clear out my room of clutter and trash once and for all.

I initially had very ambitious plans to renovate my room such as repainting, replacement of bathroom fixtures and lighting as well as installation of tiles to replace chipping vinyl. However, budget contrains made me temporarily shelve my plans.

The possibility of friends having to sleep over for our Baguio trip finally drove me to do the long delayed clean up. With the help of my sister Luchie and Jojit, we were able to accomplish sorting out paper ready for trash or the bote, garapa, diyaryo. Basically, I threw out everything I will no longer be able to read, and that includes photocopies of cases used in law school and during bar review. Note that I took the bar in 2001. We also sorted wedding, birthday and events invitation into a nice clean box, arranged magazines, CDs (I didn't realized how much I had), DVDs and books which are all neatly arranged on my shelves. Shoes were cleaned and boxed, clothes were sorted, and bags arranged. I'm planning to take pictures of my shoes, print it via laser printer and pasted the pics on the shoe box so I wouldn't have to open all the boxes when looking for shoes. I was surprised to find a few unused bags which actually looked nice so I wondered why I never got to use them. Come Sunday, we were able to clear out all the clutter on top of my bed and the monoblock table which I used for bar review. All extra toiletries collected from hotel stays were packed ready for donation. All souvenir shirts from bar ops and other clothes with sentimental value (such as the sweater which my bestfriend Monette sent me from Sun Valley, CA way back in 1994 and a basketball team jacket from my crush) were packed, sealed and stored in my cabinet. We weren't able to start with the clean up but we are almost done with the clearing up. Hopefully today, the plummer will fix the sink elbow, water closet and shower head, and fresh linoleum will be bought from stores. I might buy a new TV/video rack tonight and proceed with the clean up. My sister promised to take out the mattress and pound away dirt and dust. I might be able to sew the cover for the bed and do the rearranging tomorrow. So far, the project is on track and hopefully, I will have a bedroom suitable for habitation by Wednesday.

Whew!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.