Tuesday, March 07, 2006

The Snaparazzi's* Back!

Yes friends, the snaparazzi's back. I have a camera again!

A few months back, I posted Techie Gadgets Gone Awry about my defective Canon camera which I brought to Canon for repair on December 19, 2005. As the service acknowledgement receipt said the repair period is fourteen (14) working days, I didn't make any follow up with Canon within the period - makes a lot of sense, right? And even if January 11 is the 14th working day, I didn't make a follow up until the following week.

It was only then when I realized how difficult it was to get through their customer service hotline. Wow, it was like calling a radio station two decades ago. (Okay, okay. Yes, I called radio stations and once, even won four premier screening tickets of The Freshman starring Matthew Broderick and Marlon Brando. On another occasion, I even won a cassette of a Barbie's Cradle album. Okay, enough digression.)

Going back to Canon, it was sooo difficult to get through the line. Still, I was very patient with them the entire January. It was only when February came and I realized I have an upcoming event, a wedding, and I needed a camera. Then came many unfulfilled promises from Canon customer service reps, that they would call me if the replacement part arrives, once the loan unit shipment arrives, etc. Not once did they make good on their promise to call back and so I had to endure wasting valuable time dialling their incessantly unavailable line. It was so tiring and frustrating.

And so the wedding proceeded with me, camera-less. I decided I would have to see the end of this and started getting pushy, dropping my friendly, understanding disposition whenever I'm relating to Canon. And so on March 1, Ash Wednesday, I started making effort to call Canon at 8:45 am. After minutes of frustration, I decided I need to take this matter to the appropriate authorities. I dug up my Consumer Act and implementing rules materials and reviewed the procedure for filing a complaint with the Department of Trade and Industry. After reading the rules, I realizd how cumbersome the process will be so I thought of another way. Why not give Canon another chance?

Thus, I clicked on my browser and looked for their webpage. It turns out that the Canon Marketing Philippines website has an online inquiry corner. And so, I wrote an assertive and strongly worded email, making a litany of all the inconveniences inflicted on my and the inefficiency of their personnel as well as their system in handling customer service matters. I ended my email with the line, "if you do not immediately attend to my concern, I will bring this matter to the appropriate administrative agencies and let others know of your inefficiency."

Within the same day I sent my email, I got a call from them telling me that I can pick up my replacement unit anytime. The following morning, at 8 am, I claimed my new Canon Ixus i zoom - a 5.0 megapixel camera with superior features as my old Ixus II. The procedure to claim was not without glitch as there was an initial confusion as to whether the unit was a mere loan unit or a replacement but the confusion was sorted out. Before leaving, I thanked the customer service representative and apologized for losing my cool at some point. She said she perfectly understands my predicament.

And so, I am writing this blog to bring resolution to my earlier post, Techie Gadgets Gone Awry, not to let others know of Canon's inefficiency but to share my experience about this consumer rights-related incident. These are the things I've learned from this incident:

1. When something goes wrong with your gadget, always consult the manual first to do some troubleshooting. In case the manual doesn't give you a solution, look at the warranty card to find out the authorized service centers or check the phone directory or the web for the contact info of the gadget's manufacturers. Since most gadgets are not locally manufacured, it is not wise to go back to the seller as they may not always acquainted with information on how to have your gadget repaired.

My uncle actually got into trouble because he gave his defective camera to the seller who did not inform him that Canon is actualy doing replacement of the defective CCDs for free. The seller is now asking him to pay service fees and it is possible that warraties may be void if the gadget is "touched" by an unauthorized repairmen.

2. Find out as much information on the problem so you understand what is exactly wrong with your gadget. This way, you will be able to take the necessary precautions so as to prevent thet same thing happening again.

In my case, the problem was really what you call a "factory defect" since there was a defective part which caused the product recall of many camera models sold within a specified period. In fairness to Canon, the defective CCDs were manufactured by Sony and sold not only to Canon but also to other camera manufacturers. My complaint against Canon was really for the inefficient way of handling clients since they could have foreseen the influx of customers wanting their camera fixed. The least they could have done is properly train their customer service representatives and upgrade their phones to accommodate many callers since these are the only things they can have control of. I perfectly understand that they do not have control when the shipment for the replacement parts or units will arrive as for sure, they are also relying on the promises of the REAL culprit - the manufacturer of the defective CCD - on when they can make good on their efforts to remedy the situation. At the end of the day, the whole thing is really a hazard of technology. These gadget manufacturers put so much of their reputation at risk by releasing a product in the market while consumers like me are putting their money at stake by buying these expensive gadgets. Well, the nightmare is over for me, and probably, it is beginning to end in case of Canon with the arrival, I heard, of replacement parts or units. Lesson learned for them, I hope. At the end of the day and despite the strongly worded email, I would still give them a passing mark for handling this incident (at least in my case) - at least they did not turn their backs on the consumers and left them holding the bag. Though not perfect, they attended to the customers by offerring to replace defective cameras. Overall, I'd say they are good at damage control and yes, they have convinced me to trust them again.

_____________
* I just like the word snaparazzi, but no, I don't take pictures of celerities. :)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.