Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Big Brother is watching you

I came into the office this Monday and wondered why the light on my UPS is turned on when I distinctly remember turning it off before leaving the office last Friday. This could only mean one thing: someone must have turned on my computer while I was away. It was easy for me to deduce who could have done such invasion of my privacy over my PC since one of my office's technical personnel, during one configuration session to remotely connect my PC to a common printer, coaxed me to replace my password with a feeble combination. Surely, whoever opened my PC is looking for something, it's just that i do not know what it was and had no idea since there is really nothing of interest among my files.
The little riddle inside my head was solved when, around lunch time on Monday, I was distraught to discover that ALL my favorite websites have been firewalled by our network administrator! All my attempts to access my favorite sites (the ones that brighten my day!) proved futile as I was led to the orange and blue hues of our office's website. *Sulk*
Did I mention that Wernicke's area is among those blocked?
*Sulk*
It was too late. I probably had a hunch that something was wrong when a though occured to me to clear my browser's History so that no one would discover the sites I frequent in case someone gains access to my PC. And I was so damn right. Whoever that person is, all he needed to do was open my browser and pull down my URL window to see my precious web hang outs. And he hit the nail on the head by depriving me of my diversions.
Come to think of it, I had no right to assume that I had the right to provacy over the contents of my PC as in fact, I didn't have any. The computer and the network were properties of my employer and they have every right to pry into what keeps me from doing my job. The thing is, despite my web excursions, I manage to put in work of a quality and quantity that satisfies my boss, as he had recurrently expressed his satisfaction of my team's work output. Oh well, I guess it was a wake up call --- I was wrong to electronically loiter. And even if I do my job well and yet still have so much time in my hands means I can do better and live up to the covetous expectation of my company of my time. I guess, eventually, the thrill and novelty of my web shenanigans will wear off. Considering my unwired existence in my previous employers, having the connectivity brought by my access to the net seemed to me an invitation to see so many worlds , walk so many paths and invade so many minds.
Sigh. It was good while it lasted. From now on, I will reform...
I will now make it a habit to clear my download history and cache each time I end the day and retire my PC.
See me grin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.