Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Procrastination

Finally, I was able to finish doing something I've been putting off for... geesh, half a year?

It escapes me why something seemingly so easy to do remains to be undone for that long. I remember myself in law school, staring at my Legal Research paper in Legal Ethics, wishing some words would just materialize out of the very clean coupon bond before me. Being objective about it, it is actually against reason, in fact, irrational, to resist doing something you have to do. The deadline is tomorrow and no amount of staring at the blank paper would reverse the ticking of the clock. Still, at that point, all I'm aware of is this: brain not functioning, thoughts remain wandering despite hypnotic repetition of reasons why something must be done. And yet, nada. Nada.

Men are supposedly rational beings and yet, if men are truly rational, why do we at times act in a very irrational way and need very less effort to act that way? Jaywalkers seem to know their geometry when they insist that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. But maybe, shouldn't the jaywalkers be living not by what is the shortest distance but rather, the safest distance between two straight lines, which is the blue and pink metal structure, bastardizing the cityscape? What do we really want to express when we say, "it escapes reason"?

Is reason relative?

Should people be rather acting "naturally" or spontaneously rather than deliberately and painstakingly? If we need to be deliberate and painstaking to be at something, and that without that effort we would be aimless, does that negate that we are rational beings? If it is easier to act impulsively, shouldn't that mean that man is naturally wayward?

I guess its is too late to ask, and even futile at that, to question how things are. The complexity of life is the reward and consequence of change which is generally ineveitable. Maybe our feeble attempts at steering ourselves will have no significance to the tides that we crash into.

I will not attempt answering all my questions right now. Or perhaps, I should have answered these question while studying Philo I. Anyway, procrastination is a very, very, bad habit. In a psychological point of view, there could be many more explanations. But right now, the pragmatic in me hints at stopping this aimless discourse and start being productive again. After all, waves and the tides only exist in the open sea. There is much steering and paddling I can do in this puddle I'm into.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.