Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Shoe blues

I'm narcissistic.

I couldn't stop looking at my new pair of size 9 1/2 brown shoes which I bought from Via Venetto. I'm so pleased at how it looks so pretty on my feet (though I'm quick to concede that what's pretty is the pair of shoes and not my pair of feet), to think it is merely 1/4 the price of my Php 5,000 moral upper limit for a price of a pair of shoes.

(Hop-skip-hop-skip, yipee!)

It's just too bad that towards the end of the day, my legs started to ache due to the strain resulting from the not so sturdy heels of the pretty brown shoes, not to mention nearly twisting my ankle in front of Mega Mall across my office.

Well, I really couldn't be blamed for raving at my finding the pretty brown shoes. You see, my size 10 (or 40) shoe size makes me not too keen on frequest shoe shopping. I'm not complaining though. I certainly would look ridiculous to be a big-boned, 5'7" tall girl with a size 5 shoe size. At least I wouldn't have to go on therapy for being afflicted with Imeldific shoe hoarding tendencies.

If I were to write my shoe biography, I would be spending a sizeable number of pages on a few unforgettable shoes. When I was little (probably 4 or 5 years old), I was brought to the house of my angkong and ama (lolo and lola) to pay them a visit. Angkong had a shoe factory in Marikina but, of course, this fact I've learned only when I was older. I do distincly remember Angkong and Ama beaming down at me after Angkong finished putting on me a pair of very pretty red shoes. Happy as I was with it, the little red shoes seemed equally happily fitted unto my tiny white socked feet. I used to take a peek at my shoe cabinet every now and then just to admire the pair. Angkong died shortly thereafter and my next and last memory of him was at the wake, with my Ama crying loadly in a sing song, sometimes cat-like tone.

I had another unforgettable shoe, the one I had when I was in Grade 2 which may yaya picked for me. It was a pair of blue fabric shoes with some red trimmings and with rubber soles. It had shoe laces and a bit on the high cut side. About the red trimmings, come to think of it, I'm really not sure if they were there but that is how I picture that pair now. I wore that pair in one of our school programs where I sang "Bop Girl", complete with choreography and back-up dancers.

Thinking about it now, I was always well dressed (with very well kept and beautiful long hair) when I was young until my yaya left us. I was in Grade 3 then. When she came back more than a year after, both of us seem to be not as keen on fixing up. And, I guess, that was the start of the dark manang days the shadow of which still hovers over me now.

Going back to my memorable shoes, I couldn't remember too much aside from the two. Almost all of my shoes are worn out and deformed before I throw or give them away.

On second thought, I had three pairs of shoes which brings funny memories to me. You see, since my shoes are big, I would be the perfect source of my male blockmates' shoe needs for the "Miss Freshman" beauty contest which was held in school. Having been unused for quite sometime before being worn by my three blockmates, the shoes were already cracked and peeling all over or to be more graphic, borrowing the words of beauty pageant host Dennis Edano - naaagnas come question and answer portion. To the naaagnas comment, contestant Virginia P. wittingly retorted that the shoes were courtesy of (then recently murdered) Gianni Versace. Hey, don't look now, as it would be difficult "filling in those shoes" as their most recent wearers prior to their disposal (they went straight to the trash can after the pageant) have since become either EDSA II "student leader", LLM scholar in NY or bar topnotcher with an average higher than Ferdinand Marcos and Diosdado Macapagal!

Who knows what's in store for me and my new pretty brown shoes? Hopefully marvelous.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At Sunday, June 05, 2011 8:26:00 PM, Anonymous Poker Download said...

It is remarkable, rather amusing opinion

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.