Monday, February 05, 2007

Reminiscing my UP Diliman days

I took the PUJ to UP Diliman this afternoon to watch UP Samaskom's Live AIDS Monologues, the first time I'm seeing it despite studying in UP Diliman for 8 years. Riding the UP-Pantranco jeep (Fare is just P8.00 though it was P2.50 way back in 1993), I was able to catch a glimpse of the University Avenue with its lampposts displaying banners announcing the UP Diliman Month this February. The air was cool and it was breezy. Since Dodong Nemenzo ordered the closure of the Academic Oval to traffic on Sundays, the jeep too the route which passed by the UP Press, stil; in its old dilapidated building with a wealth of intersting books, the Abueva garden of sculptures which are now almost drowned in tall wild grass, the back of the Faculty Center wherein a new building sprouted and certainly looks different from what I remember, the ISMED Building, the Science Pavs, the Camia and Sampaguita dorms, the gate going to good old CASAA, Palma Hall Annex which houses the department of Psychology before the jeep turned right back to the Academic Oval. From there, I got a view of the Sunken Garden wherein several kids were playing soccer side by side with big boys playing soccer too. I noticed that the UP Grandstand has a new look - the structure resembled that of Pan Xenia's logo. I think I heard of a story that such structured caused some controversy which had apparently faded since the Pan Xenia grandstand has not been demolished. I also noticed that while the School of Economics looked the same, the College of Business Administration no longer have its stone washed look which I prefer over its present painted look. I didn't notice though it the metal sculpture in front of the building is still there. The jeep then passed near Malcolm Hall, what I considere my home in UP Diliman. Still looks the same though newly painted and with a grander looking huge door adorning its facade. A little bit further, I saw the University Swimming Pool and I since I really did not have any destination in mind, I didn't resist the urge to hop out of the jeep and cross the street towards it. Oh boy, I remember my P.E. classes during my first year, first sem in that swimming pool. I loved its 10ft deep diving area and I relish doing 500 meter laps on that pool. Right beside the pool entrance, I found that my favorite Persian canteen named Khas is still there. I used to eat a lot of Beef Biryani with rice rolled inside a pita bread style burrito in that place. Walking further, I saw the fish ball stand and I bought a few sticks of fishball as well as a cup of taho from the taho vendor right beside the stall. Yum! With my hands and mouth full, I wasn't able to go inside the UP Chapel so I just went as far inside without stepping in, and then walked towards Malcolm Hall to meet a friend who himself is relishing the UPD scenery and taking pictures for his website. I didn't have my camera with me so I just took some photos using my camera phone which pictures I think, do not give justice to the UPD ambiance on Sundays. You should visit the place one of these days, I tell you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.