Sunday, October 15, 2006

Writing to be read. Writhing to be red.

In our meeting last Friday, the conversation was steered towards interesting blogs we've encountered and other stuff for techie geeks. My bosses who were considerably older started to get interested about these blogs and inquired how does one put up his own blog. He went on to comment that what becomes of blogs which are not read. He struck a nerve, I thought. My blog is not being read! I'm offended.

I quickly regained composure enough to say that blogs are actually not written just so to be read, as there are those who write for the pleasure of expressing themselves, with the caveat that what they write could be read by the entire Webdom.

But who am I fooling. Of course, I want my blogs to be read. That's why I email my friends whenever I have new posts; that's why I included a site meter on my blogs in the first place.

In one of my idle moments, I recalled a former friend's code name and thought I'd search it on the net. As it turns out, he has had a blog a year before I started mine and his blog's title was the one he used as early as 2000. This guy and I used to write each other long emails continuously and consistently for a year. Looking back, I guess we were each other's captive audience as we were blogging, even before the word blog was coined. And since we have stopped being friends a few months after we stopped "blogging" each other (that doesn't seem quite right, but anyway...), I figured the email exchanges were impersonal. Still, when he sent an email to his friends, cc to my email address, one of the last I got from him, I was a bit slighted - thinking it was so impersonal unlike the previous email exchanges we've had which is sent only to each other, no cc:. Thinking about it now, I guess my friends do not like the idea of receiveing a link to my blog instead of me sending a personal email to them. Admittedly, my blogging was spurred by my desire to see my writing appear on screen when googled and of course, some lazy intentions as well. But then, I thought it was a convenient way to keep my friends updated about what's been going on in my life, not just the events but also my personal feelings and thoughts about my life as it happens. Knowing what is going on with me won't keep them current about who I am or who I've become.

In any case and at any rate, whether my blog is being read or not, I will keep on doing this. After all, it's cathartic and I enjoy it. I enjoy it as much as I enjoy life. So, read on. :)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.