Friday, February 02, 2007

Wishful Thinking: Weekend Escapade

The Siberian winds have been blowing towards the equator and temperature is dropping in Manila. The cool weather, which makes my teeth clatter and getting up in the morning more difficult, made me think of cool places here in the Philippines. First place that came to mind was Baguio - I wonder how's the weather in Baguio these days? Not too long after that thought, I heard in the news that the temperature in Baguio has reached 9.0 degrees celsius. Wow! That's the coldest you can get here in the Philippines, in the cities that is. And so my mind wandered off and thought of a sojourn in Baguio. If I could just get out of the office, grab my stuff at home and head off to the nearest bus station to Baguio, that would be a blast! Talk about being escapist! Hehe. But since I am a person not likely to do just that, I did the next logical thing which is to surf the net and see how plausible my plan is. I also dug up on old emails on Baguio accommodations as I remember making a mental note of this place in John Hay which is nice and yet affordable. And so, here is what I gathered.

To Baguio Now! Plan:

How to get there:

Via the Victory Liner Luxury Coach (P550, one way. Contact Tel. No. 7274688). I called their office and was informed of the schedule:

Cubao to Baguio
1:15 pm
10:15 pm
12:15 am

Baguio to Cubao
10:15 am
1:15 pm
12:15 am

Travel time is just 5 hours. The Victory Liner terminal in Baguio is near the Supreme Court compound (I have a lot of fond memories there). Sounds good! To think that their other aircon bus fare is P380. Reservations must be made by personally going to the Victory Liner Cubao Station which is along EDSA near Aurora and New York St., going to Makati.

Where to stay:

Mile Hi-Inn (Contact Tel No. 074-4466141 to reserve). They have Forest View rooms (good for 3-4 persons) which costs P1,950 plus VAT. They also have a standard room (good for 3-4 persons) - which costs P1,750 plus VAT and a standard room (dorm type) at P500 per person plus VAT. A discount of 40% is given is only two persons will occupy the forest view and standard rooms. All rooms have their own T&B with hot water. Check in time is 2 pm while check out time is at 12nn. It is near the export procession zone so lots of outlet stores nearby. Hmn... sounds nice!

While surfing the web, I came across this blog which I think is the best on Baguio by far. The blog is Go Baguio! and I think it is a must read for anyone who wants to make the most out of his/her stay in Baguio.

Since I am thinking of going there on a Saturday and getting back to Manila by Monday morning, that means I would have one and a half day in Baguio. Some of the things I want to do are the following:

Day One

1. Call the DOT office (074-4428848 and 0744427014) to find out about the schedule of cultural events.

2. Have coffee, brown rice and some strawberry wine (di ata bagay, hehe) at the Cafe by the Ruins near the Baguio City Hall.

3. Eat binatog, both the salty and with condensed milk varieties, and go up to the viewing dock of SM City Baguio.

4. Use up my remaining 2 hours free internet use at Netopia in SM Baguio.

5. Walk the entire length of Session Road, roam the entire Burnham Park (take a boat trip perhaps) and just take in Baguio City air (though dapat yata, sa John Hay ko ito gawin.)

6. Take a trip to the market (yum!) and buy strawberries.

7. Enjoy the ambiance at Mile-Hi, have dinner there. I'm excited to see mist coming out of my mouth as I speak!


Day Two

1. Explore Camp John Hay. Sit on the grass at Bell Amphitheater and read a good book. Find that unforgettable swing beneath the pine trees - pick up fallen pine cones, if there are. Hay...

2. Horseback riding - something I haven't dones since I fell off a horse when I was around 9 year sold.

3. Visit the Botanical Garden and see local artists at work.

Wow, what a plan! I better do this quick before it gets warm again. Plus, the Panagbenga Festival started today and will end after a month. Hoards of people will sure flock to Baguio during this time.

Don't be surprised if on my next blog, you'll see pictures of me in Baguio! :)

Ah, Baguio!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, February 07, 2007 7:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi May!

May penthouse ang Insular sa Baguio! :) Okay lang sa kin ang commute kaya tara! Magpapaalam lang ako kay Jay, sana matapat kung may seminar sya or whatever. :)

Mojics

 
At Wednesday, February 07, 2007 7:54:00 PM, Blogger wernicke said...

Wow! Kailan mo gusto? :) Tignan ko muna kung tuloy ang business trip kung hindi go, away tayo! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.