Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Plugged

If my organ of Corti can strangle me, it would have wrung my neck by now. You see, I'm currently trying to work, and, in the light of the very unconducive work atmosphere in the office, I have taken steps to decrease my susceptibility to triggers to disruption of my concentration. And the measure I've employed is plugging my ears with earphones. I started my work day at volume 3, the loudest being 10. As my officemates started arriving, some have failed to suppress their exhuberance and enthusiam of certain topics, forcing me to up the volume level to 10. Their emotions have since subsided and I'm now back down to 4. Still, my brain feels like its being swirled and stirred and my mood has not improved a bit. Obviously, I'm no longer working as I am frantically, wreckessly jabbing my fingers hard on my battered keyboard.

Wait. I'm taking several deep breaths.

Inhale.

Exhale.

Gee, it helps.

To think I thought I started the day quite fine after enjoying a brief but refreshing sleep, thanks to the CD my friend gave me, supposedly to induce deep sleep. I kept my ears plugged all night listening to it. Well, okay, you probably don't call it "listening" when one is asleep, but anyway, I guess it works - though its effects end as soon as you wake up and you have to fend for yourself as soon as you wake up and battle this noisy jungle called workplace.

Footnote:

The organ of Corti is lined with hair-like structures which are actually sensory cells called sterocilia. The steriocilia ossiclates with sound and transmit it to the brain. Any damage to it is permanent as they do not regenerate. They die.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.