Friday, December 16, 2005

Christmas party blues

Call me a party pooper but I just hate Christmas party presentations.


Especially if I'd have to do something stupid.


And more so if the prize is worth a candy cane.


For me, an ideal Cristmas party is one which has good food, nice and plenty raffle prizes and exchange gift. Predictably, none of those I mentioned will be occuring later tonight. Isn't it ironic that I would feel obligated and not excited to go to this party - my first of probably many Christmas parties in this office?

It was only yesterday that I found out that my group mates have hastily prepared a skit for today's party. Oh how I abhor skits! I'm a horrible actor - and I'm not funny at all. Better ask me to host the party, dance or better yet, sing but never to perform in a skit. The lingering feeling of shame will hover over me for a full hour after making that horrible performance. I was in such a bad mood I left all my Christmas gifts for my officemates and decided to give them next week instead, very much against the "spirit of Christmas" mood which is permitted to pervade the office today. And while I managed to pack my Christmas tree with blinking lights and an extra Santa hat, plus the duster which is to be my costume for the horrible skit, I left my cellphone for the nth time at home. *Sob*

Well, at least I'm sure the blinking lights on my Christmas tree hat will bring some cheer to my officemates, and I, hopefully will catch some of their glee.

Well, eventually, to my relief, my groupmates, less one who is extremely busy to participate, and another who overtly threw a tantrum, decided to forego the skit and settled with a dance number. For more than an hour, we learned the steps. Admittedly, I feel a bit better and I do not dread the performance that much. In a way, I am thankful that, save for this blog entry and a few whining sessions with a friend, I did not let my disgust over being pulled out of my comfort zone get out of hand. Now, my attitude is more of getting over with it without making much a fool of myself. This night will pass, the party food digested and the memory of our group's horrible performance will soon fade. What is important is my emotional intelligence prevailed --- there was no spoiling of other people's fun. And that is what is most important.

Who knows, it could be your fun which will be saved next.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.