Sunday, February 10, 2008

Sala Restaurant in Locsin Building, Makati Ave.

I had some sort of a food excursion with my friend last night. We've been hearing a lot about Sala Restaurant, this fine dining restaurant in Locsin Building where Lumiere used to be (I never go to try Lumiere) and so we finally went to sample it.

I actually like the restaurant. Away from the hustle and bustle of restaurants located in malls, even the ones in Greenbelt, it is a perfect place to have an intimate, relaxed, and peaceful dining experience. I don't think I ever experienced that kind of dining privacy, despite having a few other diners around. The restaurant seats just about 40. The table cloths and napkins are of the high thread count type, the dining implements tastefully selected. I liked the fact that the air conditioning wasn't set on high and you won't get your hair ruffled when it blows. Neither was it uncomfortably warm and you won't get out of the restaurant smelling like your recent meal.

We ordered an appetizer and a main course each. The waiters are well-groomed, polite and attentive in a subdued way. They kept out water goblets filled and you need not lift a finger, just eye contact, for you to be attended. We were served three types of bread which all tasted fresh and tasty, I could have eaten a lot more than I should. They also served a complimentary bruschetta with herbed cream cheese and tomato which was really flavorful.

The food was served quite late although I must say I didn't notice it much because I was enjoying the bread, bruschetta and the, uhm, ambiance which we paid for. (hehe) Our first appetizer was composed of a very tender guava wrapped in proscuitto and laced with sweet tamarind sauce. I must say it was a creative concoction and the saltiness of proscuito was effectively balanced by the sauce and the flavor of the guava fruit. The next appetizer, a special of the day, is the one I really liked. It has succulent, juicy, fresh portabella mushrooms with meat and cream, topping a light crust cup. I've always loved mushroom dishes and this one ranks among one of the best I've tasted.

My friend had a well-done grilled lamb tenderloins with sweet white onion risotto, grilled asparagus and salsa verde while I had medium-rare Rosemary grilled Angus beef bistro fillet horseradish potato cake with asparagus. We had a glass of Merlot from Chile with our main course - I would say, one of the better wines I've tasted. The serving was a bit huge and I found myself already nearly full after having my second piece of juicy, flavorful beef. I noticed I didn't need to put more salt or pepper because the dish just tasted right. Rightfully, the ingredients were evidently well-selected and I would say the taste was above-average. This dining experience actually made me realize that I prefer this over huge, dizzying and confusing buffets where you barely have time for a good conversation just because there is so much to eat and you are unable to enjoy and relish the taste.

Overall, it was a good experience, a fun-filled evening. If not for the steep price, I'd want to be back to sample their other dishes as well as their dessert.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.