Saturday, December 15, 2007

This year

This has been an incredible year.

I started the year with an attempt to spend a few of my free hours as a volunteer of an NGO but it is just too bad their schedule seems to be custom fit for college students who have free time on their hands during weekends. Since I've already alloted my weekends to my Chinese classes at the Confucius Institute, I was left with no time left for it and had to give it up. Maybe until the next opportunity for volunteerism comes along...

Speaking of my Chinese classes, I was able to finish up to Level 3 of Basic Mandarin and was able to use a bit of it in Hong Kong. I started Level 4 but since I had a lot of social activities in the second half of the year, I decided to give it up too. Geesh. At least I know when to stop.

Oh, speaking of stopping. For this year, I had two (2) dates, one of which became a friend at least. Stop. That's not bad. And so, zero (0) boyfriend but still, lots and lots of friends. Happy!

I got hooked on Facebook, I saw lots of movies (finally watched an Imax movie, I loved Stardust, and I wouldn't forget the Australian Filmfest movies), listened to a lot of songs (my favorites for this year are When It Was Over by Sara Groves and Umbrella by Rihanna), watched a few plays (Zsazsa Zaturnnah again, and Romolus D'Grayt), read a few good books, bought nice clothes and shoes (three cheers for Tung Chung a.k.a. City Gate outlet stores!!!), tried new restaurants (notable ones are People's Palace, Gaudi, and the life-saving Tsui Wah), and of course, I got to travel to Hong Kong and went to HK Disneyland!

On the professional front, things are kinda slow in the office and I know that I could have done things better. But then again, there are a lot of things going on in the office which my duty as lawyer proscribes me to write about it. Never mind. Erase.

I really have nothing to complain about. The love and care of friends were much felt this year. I was invited to four (4) weddings (Lisa's, where I was maid of honor, Annelle's, China's, and Alfred's), got three (3) new godchildren (Asti, Atheena, Celine), listened to an equal number of raves and rants (hey, not bad), made new friendships (Maritel, Djong), renewed old ties (Amer, Grace, Kiten, my Facebook friends: Winlawers and ex-SyCip friends), and fortified existing ones (Monette, PLIFS, my dear blockmates, my kumares and kumpares, Tara, Mai, Gerrome & Cel). Even if I sometimes sob about being left behind by friends who have their own lives, their own quirks and faults, truth is I know that they really love and appreciate me, and they really exert so much effort to be there for me. I love you guys!

Special mention must be made about this friendship which I believe I have strengthen this year - my friendship with Him. He's always been there, waiting for me, trying to catch my attention and always waiting for me to listen to what He has to say. It is just simply amazing that He found a way to reach me. Even though I get too caught up with myself at times, I just reach for His word and, believe me, he tells me exactly what I need to hear. I wouldn't say I was nicer this year, in a nice vis-a-vis naughty Santa Claus sense. It is just that he made it easier to get up after the fall this year. When I get lonely, when I feel my dear friends are caught up in their own lives and I am left alone, after some fine tuning, it was easier to "tune-in" to him. Really, He's always ready to listen, and believe me, He speaks to me. it makes me smile when I think about it. =)

And speaking of Him, he has also opened a lot of doors for me this year. I believe that there is a reason why he gave me the gift, the responsibility, and the opportunity to study in Sydney next year. Every step that I took to get into the school and get the scholarship, he led me into touching other people's lives. I learned how good it feels to hold someone's hand in a journey (Chester, we made it and I owe you a lot! I am happy and grateful to be your dear, dear friend). I renewed ties with dear old friends and bosses. I discovered the goodness in the heart of people I did not expect such kindness from. I learned to be patient and forgiving. I took a big leap out of my comfort zone by learning to trust on Him that he will pour forth his blessings. It is really amazing. I believe that even if I did not get the scholarship, I would still be as grateful as I am today. The entire experience is already a blessing in itself. Now that almost all is set, I am preparing myself how I can make use of this opportunity to be a worthy servant to Him.

I am not scared. I trust in Him. I trust in the love of my family and friends. I am so blessed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.