Sunday, June 15, 2008

Seeing the BIG Triangle

There is very little that I remember from my dreaded Introduction to Chemistry class, but I do recall that the symbol for change is the triangle. 

I was a passive participant in a conversation this morning where my friend remarked that it is so hard to stay married because both spouses undergo a lot of change and you both have to constantly adjust to these changes. It wasn't a novel idea - hearing the "people change" cliche, but it struck me at the right time how right she was.

In a certain way, change is a dreadful scenario most especially when you don't initiate the change. I guess there is an element of uncertainty when change is introduced by factors, or persons whose thoughts and feelings are beyond the grasp of our control. A real nightmare for the control freak like me.

I'm experiencing a lot of changes these days, and I know I am in for a major, huge, big change in the coming months (but then again, I was the one who catalyzed those upcoming changes so everything else that will follow is brimming with anticipation and excitement for me - but that's another story). The thing is, when the fervent fire of something good, happy, and comforting seems to be on the verge of fizzling out cold, it is an easy excuse for a panic attack. I guess I just have to remind myself of what I used to tell myself during the heydays - all things come to an end; nothing is permanent. A sizzling love affair could abruptly end, friendship can be broken, success can get trivialized. The end could be brought about by another person's choice, or some twist of fate like separation, or even death. That is probably why people always say (or at least the cynical ones) "Enjoy it while it lasts." 

There is always a choice how to deal with the "triangle." One can be bitter or one can be gracious. I personally feel that there is no need to be bitter: yes, I tell and convince myself that there is no need to be bitter (keep that sticking in your head between the fissures of your gray matter, May!). Instead, being gracious and accepting is the way to go. Relieve the good times with the optimism that ahead are more, better times, perhaps under different circumstances, with different people and different places. And while some good times are already gone and have abruptly, unceremoniously ended, at least, at the palm of your hands, you know, and should be grateful that you had and embraced them once. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.